Johnson O’Malley Program
Johnson O’Malley Program
Funds made available to the Acoma Johnson O’Malley Program (JOM), provides supplemental educational services. Per JOM Educational Plan Services/Programs are designed to meet the unique educational needs of ACOMA students enrolled in the Grants/Cibola School District (GCCS):
1. Tutoring is provided after school at GCCSs’ sites and JOM office area to meet AYP (NCLB).
2. After school Transportation is provided for students participating in tutoring, extra-curricular and athletic activities at GCCS schools,
3. Parental student advocate and educational counseling provided by the JOM/Higher Education Liaison provides students and parent with paraprofessional counseling, advisement and assistance towards secondary and post-secondary educational goals.
4. Band Instruments are available on a first-come first-serve basis.
JOM Programs Goals and Objectives
1. Work with Grants Cibola County Schools and Cibola County Youth Task Force to address student’s school attendance in meeting the NM Compulsory School Attendance Laws: (All students attending Public Schools are expected to attend school as many days as school is in session).
a) GCCS’s will provide to the JOM program referrals/reports on student’s experiencing academic and attendance (truancy) difficulty.
b) JOM/Higher Liaison will make contact with parents and students per referrals/reports to schedule meeting/hearings with schools, Acoma Tribal Administration and Acoma Tribal Programs to address academic and truancy issues.
c) JOM/Higher Education Liaison on a regularly basis will contact the schools for attendance, suspension, or academic problems of students, follow GCCS Board Policies.
2. In a collaborative effort Pueblo of Acoma JOM Program and GCCS will assist students and parents in accessing service providers and agencies that address the physical, emotional, social and educational needs of students. With primary prevention and intervention from tribal programs in addressing the issues of student behavior before and during any suspension whether it be for attendance, academic or abuse.
3. JOM/Higher Education Programs to conduct parent and student workshops addressing GCCS educational standards and academic information (i.e. Board Policies, attendance requirement, graduation requirements, College information, Financial Aid & Scholarship Information and etc).
Please come visit the JOM/Adult/Higher Education Office or contact our offices at the address and telephone number listed above for assistance or for more information.
Staff: Justine L. Antonio, Student Support Coordinator
ADULT / HIGHER EDUCATION
P.O. Box 307
Pueblo of Acoma, NM 87034
|TELEPHONE: (505) 552-6077 ext. 5135
FAX: (505) 552-6812