Student Support Services
505-552-6077 x 5553
PO Box 307, Acoma, NM 87034
49 Pinsbaari Drive, Acoma, NM 87034
Monday – Saturday
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Student Support Services Staff
Leslie Vallo, Student Support Coordinator
Joanie Sanchez, Student Support Assistant
Higher Education Grant Application
Continuing Education Grant Application
Promote educational excellence by providing quality programs and services that enhance lifelong skills while maintaining the Acoma culture and language.
Student Support Services is made up of four programs which are all geared toward ensuring the students of the Pueblo of Acoma Community receive quality educational services.
Johnson O'Malley Program (JOM)
Funds made available to the Acoma Johnson O’Malley Program (JOM), provides supplemental educational services. Per JOM Educational Plan Services/Programs are designed to meet the unique educational needs of ACOMA students enrolled in the Grants/Cibola School District (GCCS):
- Tutoring is provided after school at GCCS sites and the JOM office area to meet AYP (NCLB).
- After-school transportation is provided for students participating in tutoring, extra-curricular and athletic activities at GCCS sites.
- Parental student advocate and educational counseling provided by the JOM/Higher Education Liaison provides students and parent with paraprofessional counseling, advisement and assistance towards secondary and post-secondary educational goals.
- Band Instruments are available on a first-come first-serve basis.
Adult Education Program
Adult Education Services are provided to community members who reside on the Pueblo of Acoma Reservation.
Provides Acoma community adults and awareness of certain educational needs and opportunities that will strengthen and expand cultural, intellectual and social development/occupational competence. Assist adults in the following:
- Efforts to complete requirements for High School Equivalency (HSE) Credential.
- HSE classes are held at the New Mexico State University-Grants Branch. Transportation for HSE students is provided daily. Testing fees and any fees required are paid by the Adult Education Program by reimbursement.
- Provide tuition for community members or Pueblo of Acoma employees to expand and enhance job and personal skills at NMSU/Grants, Central New Mexico Community College and University of New Mexico.
- The program will assist with payment of tuition for 3 or 4 credit hour college class. Areas covered can also be fees for special short courses and/or training.
Please come visit the JOM/Adult/Higher Education Office or contact our offices at the address and telephone number listed above for assist or for more information.
Highter Education Program
The Pueblo of Acoma contracts with the Bureau of Indian Affairs to administer the Higher Education Grant Program. Funds are annually appropriated by Congress to aid eligible Acoma Tribal members enrolled on the Pueblo of Acoma Censes Roll, seeking two year Associate (Liberal Arts) or four-year Bachelor Degrees at accredited post-secondary institutes.
The Acoma Higher Education Grant Program is a supplemental program to ALL campus-based financial aid, which includes: Pell Grants, SEOG and SSIG grants, work study, student loans, etc., using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA). These federal applications are available in our office or at the University/College’s Financial Aid Office and MUST be submitted by March 1 to the University/College for full campus-based aid consideration.
The Higher Education Grant Program considers eligibility after the following supporting documents are received:
- AHE Grant Application
- Letter of Undergraduate Admission
- Certificate of Indian Blood and Tribal Enrollment
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Official High School or Post-Secondary Transcript (dependent on last attendance)
- ACT/SAT Scores
- Student Aid Reports (SAR’s are forms that come after completing and mailing the FASFA)
- Copy of class schedule.
Deadlines for filing applications are as follows:
|Fall Semester:||May 1st||Supporting Documents:||July 1st|
|Spring Semester:||October 1st||Supporting Documents:||December 1st|
We encourage you to visit with your high school counselor, financial aid advisor and the Acoma Higher Education Grant Office for assistance and sincerely commend you for your endeavors to continue your education. We look forward to working with you and can be reached at the address and telephone number listed above.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.